Chiropractors are health care professionals who are specialized in the diagnosis and treatment of neuromuscular disorders that cause pain or loss of motion. Most diagnosed conditions will then emphasize treatment via the manual adjustment or manipulation of the patient's spine. The spinal column consists of 24 critical bones and each has a desired range of motion enabled by muscles and ligaments. The following are a few of the common conditions that might negatively impact a spinal column and thus require diagnosis and treatment by a chiropractor:
Common Conditions Treated By Our Macon Chiropractor
- Back sprain or strain. Nearly 75% of adults will experience a back sprain or strain during their lifetime, which will cause pain that can range from dull and aching to sharp, burning, and stabbing (as well as everything in between). Both sprains and strains commonly occur when a person lifts too much weight or bends and twists their spine improperly during work or while playing a sport.
- Coccydynia. This is a specific name for centralized pain that develops around the spine's tailbone. Generally, those who develop coccydynia did so after they experienced a bad fall, recently gave birth, or suffered from repetitive strain injury from something like long-term bike riding.
- Degenerative disc disease. As a people age, the discs between each of their vertebrae gradually break down and lose their elasticity, flexibility, and shock absorption, thereby causing pain during movement. A chiropractor can offer advice on how to slow this degeneration and new treatments to offer long-term pain relief.
- Cervicogenic headaches. Headaches that persist despite over-the-counter medication may be caused by an unnatural tightness of the head and neck. Also known as tension headaches, many people who suffer from this type of piercing pain can find instant relief following a chiropractic adjustment.
- Sciatica. Sciatica is often characterized as moderate to severe pain that radiates below the knee of one or both legs, although it can travel to the mid and upper thigh. The pain from sciatica can feel as intense as a constant electric shock. This disorder occurs when the sciatic nerve or a branch of this nerve becomes compressed or otherwise irritated, such as following a car accident or similar physical injury.
- Whiplash. Whiplash is a hyperflexion or hyperextension injury that most frequently is caused when a vehicle stops too quickly, such as in a rear-end collision. The severe neck pain following the accident may not present itself for a few days after the accident.
Have Spinal-Related Pain? Contact Your Macon Chiropractor
There's no reason to suffer alone in pain. Our Macon chiropractic office is proud to offer a wide range of services and is fully equipped to treat these and other common spinal-related conditions. Contact us today to set up an appointment.